Kodanad Elephant Sanctuary – Day Tour Place near Kochi
Kodanad, is a magnificent experience because this is the only center which the Baby elephants were trained in Kerala. Kodanad is a quiet but modern village on the route to Munnar, which is located nearly nearly 45 kilometers from Kochi. This beautiful place is located on the side of River Periyar and well known as the “Elephant Kraal” or “Elephant training centre”. In Kerala, This is the main center for training elephants. A mini zoo within the premises also attracts visitors and and the park could reach via boats to Malayattoor church, a seasonal pilgrimage place situated on other side of river Periyar, offers an outstanding views of the surroundings. Kodanad’s elephants locality attracts domestic as well as foreign tourists and film crews throughout the year.
In the 1950s, Kodanad was the biggest of many elephant training facility for captured Elephants, from the nearby forest regions. In the 1970s, Government of India banes the elephant capture and formerly, Kodanad is mainly used by a rescue and elephant training center. Here, Elephants were trained by skilled personals called as ‘Paappaan’ (Malayalam). Now, Elephant capturing are banned and Kodanad has become the elephants training centre which is been used for safaris. The elephants are trained purposefully for riding, exploring the forests and may transport the wood logs from one place to another. The animals from Kodanad elephant center have been recently shifted to Kaprikkad, is an Ecotourism project called Abhayaranyam, stretched around 200 acres of rain forest.
Kodanand Elephant Sanctuary Visiting Time – 8 AM to 5 PM
Important Info:Traveler’s may reach the park before 9.30 AM IST and That’s thein the camp and it’s worth watching.
Day Tour Kochi – Kodanand Attractions
There are numerous pathways beside the river bank which offers an exceptional understanding to the visitors. Tourists attain Kodanad enchanted by baby elephant’s various development stages at the Center. At least four to six baby elephants are brought in and trained every year. There are many walkways beside the river that give pleasant experience to the visitors. Wildlife park at the center, is the home of many different deer varieties and other wildlife.
Kodanad Elephant Sanctuary Entry Fees
- Adults (Indian) – ₹20/-
- Children – ₹10/-
- Foreign Nationals – ₹100/-
- Video Camcorder – Free
Kodanad Elephant Sanctuary – Routes and Transportation
Kodanad has many bus services to the places from Kochi town and services to many neighboring towns. Regular bus services to Perumbavoor are available from here. Auto Rickshaws are normally used for small distance in Kerala. The nearby railway stations are, Aluva & Angamaly. Cochin International Airport is around 18 Km from kodanad Elephant sanctuary. Kodanad is bordered with many small but populated traveler villages, The prominent ones are Kaprikad, Thottuva, Koovappady, Cheranalloor, Kurichilakode, Alattuchira, Panamkuzhy etc. Vallam town is the main swapping point for public transports.
- Nearest Railway stations: Ernakulam Town, Angamaly and Aluva – About 45 Km.
- Nearest Airport: Cochin International Airport – 18.2 Km.
- Via Vallom (Traditional small wooden Boat) – Kodanad Rd, About 20 Km.
- Vallom from Koovappady Panchayat to Kodanad – About 8.5 Km.
Kodanad Elephant Sanctuary- Things to Know Before You Go
- An Elephant lover’s paradise to view these magnificent beings up close.
- Good park with lots of variety trees including medicinal plants, centuries old trees.etc
- One among the least crowded destination near Cochin.
- A great Week end getaway from the city, Ample of parking facilities available.
- There is a well maintained children’s park and cafeteria near the entrance.
- There are tree huts made of bamboo in the park.
- It will take least to 2-3 hours to cover the park if you are in hurry.
- Have to pay for both entry and parking fees.
- Not maintained well by the govt authorities.
Do’s and Dont’s
- Carrying of food and beverage items into the Park is prohibited.
- Do not litter the park; leave your foot prints only.
- Smoking, consumption of alcohol and other contraband inside the Park is prohibited.
- Feeding, teasing, disturbing elephants and other wild animals are strictly prohibited.
- While inside the Park, do not keep pet animals, firearms, traps, poisonous or any other substance which is injurious to the wildlife.
- Please take care to limit your presence in the designated areas only while inside the Park.
- Illegal entry, use of unauthorized space, unauthorized trekking and picnicking is punishable.
- Do not play music, honk or speak loudly. Silence can help you hear wildlife.
- Do not carry plastic materials inside the park as the Park is a Plastic free zone.
Hotels / Accommodation Near By
Most popular hotels and other stay options are listed in this website. You may contact the Trip designer to secure the bookings of other Exclusive private properties. Know more about – Cochin Hotels
Tour Packages with this Activity / Experience
Checkout the Tour Package page and browse with advanced filter options to explore additional inclusions with this activity. Know more about – Cochin Tour Packages
Power of Exclusivity: More included features with this Activity /Experience
Time management is most important in travel and the destination is all about how you experience the tour. Without losing the Quality and Security, Make the Best and Most with every trip is our prime concern. With an unrivaled depth of Local expertise, we are at the Art of Travel Research and have been Professionally planning, mapping and facilitating premium travel activities and sightseeing package tour experiences. There are countless Incredible things are hidden in these natural treasures (Un touched by normal trials) and when you travel with us, there is much more to expect than what you get in a traditional Cochin sightseeing tour package in Kerala. This “More” that makes us special, which will guarantee an unparalleled and unique experiences. Note: The exclusive program details wouldn’t be mentioned in any online Cochin tour packages itinerary web catalogs.
This Cochin tourism activity could Power Up with other 7 Exclusive activities/ things to do features to make the best out of your time. You may Contact the trip designer for customizing options.